Where to get Android Apps?
There are many off brand tablets that do not have access to Google Play, previously known as the Android Market. But these tablets still need apps. So, where to get Android apps for your Android tablet if you do not have access to Google Play? Or, maybe you want an app and Google Play will not let you download it because it says it is not compatible with your device.
Before you can install any apps from a source other than Google Play, you must turn on the ability for your tablet to install from non-Market sources. Depending on your Android version, do one of the following:
- If you have an older version of Android – go to Settings –> Applications –> Touch the check box next to Unknown Sources. You are done, and can go back to the home screen.
- If you have a newer version of Android – go to Settings –> Security –> Touch the check box next to Unknown Sources. You are done, and can go back to the home screen.
You will also need a file manager app. If your tablet did not come with a file manager app then you need to download one. If you have access to Google Play, go there and download a file manager such as Astro or File Manager HD. If you do not have access to Google Play, you can download Astro’s apk file from here –> Download Astro
To install an Android app, you need the .apk file. This is the file that contains all the code to install the app. If you know the name of the app you want, using the browser on your tablet, try using Google to find the apk file, such as search on Astro.apk. There are a few websites where you can download the apk directly to your tablet.
When downloading the apk file, it is best to use your tablet to access the website so you can download the apk file directly to the tablet. If you cannot use your tablet to access the internet, then you can download the apk file to your PC, then move it to your tablet using either a USB connection, or via a SD memory card.
Where to get Android apps:
- Amazon AppsMarket is the first place to go to. Once you set up an Amazon account, you can download free or purchased apps to most Android devices.
- GetJar – This is a nice source, but when you go to their website, they tell you to go to Google Play and download their app. But, what do you do if you do not have access to Google Play. Using the browser on your tablet, go to GetJar.apk. After download the .apk file, go to your file manager and touch the getjar.apk file and it will install automatically.
- SlideME is a nice source since it just download apk files directly to your device.
- AppsAPK.com is another good source for downloading apk files.
- There are many more sources, you can find them if you Google “Android Apps”
After you download the apk file, use your file manager to touch the file and it will automatically install the app.
Once you have installed the app, you can delete the apk file, it is no longer needed.
© 2013 – 2014, Android Tablet PC Support. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are hereby recognized