Forgot the lock code, PIN, or password on an Android tablet PC
How to unlock an Android tablet if you forgot the Pattern, PIN, or Password?
If you forgot the lock code, AND you have your tablet synced with Google via a Gmail account, then after you perform an incorrect pattern 5 times, you will see an option called Forgot Pattern. Touch Forgot Pattern and then you can log into your Google account and unlock the tablet.
If you have activated the Android Device Manager feature on the tablet, and you forgot the lock code, then you can use the Android Device Manager to reset the password. Checkout this page for more information Remotely reset the password on an Android Tablet
If you do not have a GMail account, or you forgot the PIN or Password, you are SOL – your only option is to send the tablet to the manufacturer to be reset. Or, you can reset the tablet to the original factory setting yourself. You will loose everything on the tablet as it will be reset to the factory specifications and image.
How to do a hard reset using external keys?
If your tablet is completely locked up and you cannot access the menu functions, use the following method to perform a hard reset using external keys on your tablet:
- Turn tablet off. You may need to use two hands in this process to press and hold buttons properly.
- Turn on the tablet with power button, wait a full 2 seconds from the time the tablet starts showing the manufacturer logo, then press and hold the down Volume key. (you should not hold down the power button after it turns on and logo appears)
- “Android Recovery” will appear on top of screen if timing is done correctly. Release volume button. (if you continue to press volume down at that message, the message will cycle through “RSD, Fastboot, and back to Android Recovery. Make sure message states Android Recovery before you go to next step). If stuck at a RSD protocol or Fast boot screen, reboot the tablet by holding power button then pressing the volume up)
- While screen states “Android Recovery”, Press volume up button, the screen will say “Entering Android recovery mode” and a few seconds later an Android robot graphic will appear alone on the screen. Release buttons.
- Hold down power button and then press the volume up key together to see the Android Recovery screen menu selections
- Use the volume buttons to move up and down through selection in this menu.
- Using the volume down button, scroll down to “Wipe data/factory reset”.
- Tap Power hard key to select option.
- Scroll down to select “Yes, delete all user data”.
- Tap the power button to select. Wiping and formatting data will take a few minutes.
- You will return back to the Android recovery screen menu.
- Tap the Power button to “Reboot system now” which will power-cycle tablet and eventually power back on to the Initial Set-up / Welcome screen present when you first turned on your tablet.
© 2014, Android Tablet PC Support. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are hereby recognized