Word, Excel, or PowerPoint on a Android Tablet
Microsoft has recently released FREE Android versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook. These can be downloaded from Google Play Store. The free versions have limited functionality, but will allow you to do most of the basic functions.Here are some alternatives to using the Microsoft apps:
I have been using Documents to Go for awhile and it works well for my needs. However, the new updates to QuickOffice Pro HD has me thinking hard about switching. Decide for yourself.....Documents to Go
Documents to Go has both a free, limited use, version, and a full version. You can download the free version of "Documents to Go" from either Google Play, or Amazon AppStore.
The free version allows you to open documents created on another device, or emailed to you, so you can view them. You cannot make any changes or create new files with the free version. The free version has the following features:
- Carry and access all your important Microsoft documents everywhere
- Review file properties with one click
- Scroll pages from left to right and top to bottom with the swipe of your finger
- Star documents for quick viewing later
- Remove stars or delete files
The full version of "Documents to Go" has all the features of the free version plus the following features:
- View, edit, and create Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point documents
- Download, view, and edit your files from your Google Docs account
- Sync with your desktop using your device's USB cable
- Enjoy comprehensive formatting features for Word, Excel, and Power Point, as well as high fidelity viewing of PDFs
- Access support for attachments, password-protected files, built-in file browser, memory card support, and Live folder for recently used documents
To get the full version, first download and install the free version from here: Documents To Go 3.0 Main App
Then purchase the Key for the full version from here: Documents To Go Full Version Key
And then, add the Key to the installed Main App to change it to the full version.Quickoffice Pro HD
Another great app for viewing and editing Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF files is Quickoffice Pro HD
. The HD version is optimized for tablets. They no longer offer a free 7 day trial, however, this app has just been purchased by Google.
Here are the features of Quickoff Pro HD:
CREATE, EDIT, & SHARE, Microsoft® Office files on your tablet!
Now, your Android tablet can do more than music, movies and games. With Quickoffice Pro HD, you get a powerful office suite that lets you open and edit Microsoft® Office documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, as well as, annotate PDF files – online and offline. PLUS, our included file manager works seamlessly with your email attachments, locally saved files, and cloud storage accounts so you can work anytime and anywhere.
- Open, edit, and save to/from your favorite cloud account
- Edit and spell check documents on the go
- Update formulas in spreadsheets
- Give presentations without a bulky laptop
- Add notes and mark up PDF files
- Quickword now has Spell Check
- Annotate PDF files at no additional cost
- Delete, move and resize charts in Quicksheet
- Create bulleted and numbered lists in Quickpoint
- Create, edit, and delete tables in Quickword!
- More fonts and keyboard shortcuts
- *** PDF ***
- Add/edit/remove comments
- Select text and highlight
- Insert shapes and annotate
- Display charts in .docx
- Edit line spacing
- Create and edit tables
- Resize table rows and column
- Merge cells, resize tables, and set table styles
- *** PRESENTATIONS ***
- Laser pointer tool
- Insert numbered lists
- Display groups of items
- Duplicate slides in PPTX
- *** SPREADSHEETS ***
- Move, resize and delete charts
- Update charts when data changes
One of the benefits of this app is that it supports saving or pulling files to/from a cloud storage center. You can access files from Google® Docs, Dropbox, Box.net, Huddle™, SugarSync, and MobileMe™ accounts or from your SD card. Click here for the for the full version of Quickoffice Pro HD
. Also available from the Amazon AppStore.OnLive Desktop
A new cloud option is now available, which requires internet access to use. If you are able to be connected to the internet, a new app called OnLive Desktop will allow you to open a virtual Windows 7 desktop session via their cloud service. The app will display a Windows 7 screen with icons to open Word, Excel, Powerpoint, IE 10, Flash, and Adobe Reader.
The OnLive service also is a cloud storage service, and all files are stored on the cloud. Which is nice since you can access the cloud from your tablet, PC, phone, or any other device with internet access. An easy way to keep your files in sync between all devices - if you have access to the internet from all devices.
Download OnLive Desktop from Google Play here: OnLive Desktop