collapse collapse

Ads

Google Ads

Most Recent Posts

Friends

Author Topic: How to print from a tablet PC?  (Read 43582 times)

Tablet PC Pro

• Administrator
    • Tablet PC Devices
How to print from a tablet PC?
« on: December 07, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
How to print from a tablet PC?
Printing from a tablet PC is not a function delivered with a new tablet.    The USB port on a tablet PC will not support printer interfaces. 

But, with the addition of some software, you can print from a tablet PC over a Wi-Fi network easily.  If you do not have a Wi-Fi network with a printer and your tablet  connected, then your options are limited.

If you have a Samsung tablet with the latest TouchWiz interface, you can print directly to a Wi-Fi printer, assuming you have permissions to connect to the printer.  Samsung also has a print app called Samsung MobilePrint that uses a Wi-Fi network to connect to a printer and print. 
Samsung MobilePrint is a free application which enables to print photos, documents and web pages directly from your smartphone and tablet. The application also enables scanning document to your mobile device directly.
You can download this app from Google Play here: Samsung MobilePrint

Motorola also has an app for printing over Wi-Fi networks, but it will also print to a printer connected to a PC, which is connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
MotoPrint is a printing application for your Motorola Xoom. This application allows you to print content from your tablet to your printer over WiFi. You can print most types of content, including pictures, directly from your mobile device.
MotoPrint works by connecting to the following on your WiFi network:
- Most Postscript Laser Printers
- Most HP WiFi Printers (Must Support PCL3 GUI Category 10)
- Most Epson WiFi Printers (Must Support ESC/P-R)
- A PC with the FREE MotoPrint Host Utility Application found at www.motorola.com/motoprint connected to an installed printer
This app can also be downloaded from Google Play: MotoPrint

HP has developed a product called ePrint Home & Biz.  This app is targeted for printing to HP printers connected to your local Wi-Fi network.  Download it from Google Play: HP ePrint

I have also seen apps on Google Play developed by Epson, Brother, Lexmark, Canon, Kodak, etc. to work specifically with their printers.  All require a Wi-Fi network.

If you have a printer with a Bluetooth connection, there are also apps that support printing via a Bluetooth connection.  Don't spend any money on these until you can try them to verify they work since this is a hit or miss process.

The Android Market has a few apps that allow you to print directly to a Wi-Fi printer, check them out here --> Wi-Fi Print Apps.

The best way I have found to print from an Android tablet is to use Google Cloud Print.  Google Cloud Print allows any device which is also running Google Cloud Print to print to other Cloud Print enabled devices.  The drawback to using Google Cloud Print is that your Wi-Fi network needs to be connected to the internet to work.

There are security measures that control how devices can connect.
  • First, you need to install Google Chrome on your PC or Mac which has a connected printer that you want to print to --> Install Google Chrome

• Next, on the same computer, you need to Enable Google Cloud Print

• After you have Google Cloud Print enabled on the computer where the printer is connected, you need to also install Google Cloud Print on the computer or tablet you are printing from.  Go to the Android Market and download this app -->;Cloud Print App

Here is a link to Google Cloud Print Support
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:15:47 PM by Tablet PC Pro »
Tablet PC Pro

elijah80

• Welcome, Please share your knowledge
Re: How to print from a tablet PC?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
Hi,
I have a problem and I wanted to know if you can help me:

I'm about to buy an Asus Tranformer Prime Infinity T700 and I have the need to print in a place where there's no WiFi. Now, I read  that if I buy a WiFi printer and I download the right app from google play I can use my tablet as a hotspot and connect the printer to it. Is that correct?

Please HEEELP!!! 

elijah

Tablet PC Pro

• Administrator
    • Tablet PC Devices
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »
Congrats if you buy the ASUS 700 it is a great tablet.  But, if you do not have access to a WiFi network with a printer attached to either a PC or router, I suggest you explore Bluetooth options.
Per my reply to the WiFi Hotspot post, you cannot connect a WiFi printer to a hotspot.
Tablet PC Pro

elijah80

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply!
Ok I get it! But how do "explore the bluetooth options"? I mean, do you know what kind of printer I should buy (one that works with android!!!) or the bluetooth driver I have to download from google play?

Sorry to bother you  :)

elijah

Tablet PC Pro

• Administrator
    • Tablet PC Devices
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:15:29 AM »
Sorry, I don't have any direct experience using a Bluetooth printer, or using the Bluetooth apps - Can anyone else help?

If I were you, I'd pick up a low priced WiFi router, plug it in and configure it for a WiFi network.  Even though the router is not connected to the internet, it will still allow you to share devices using peer-to-peer connectivity.

Good luck....
Tablet PC Pro

elijah80

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »
Thanks man, I might just do that!  :)

Google Ads

Top 10 Topics