collapse collapse

Ads

Google Ads

Most Recent Posts

Friends

Author Topic: ASUS Transformer and Motorola Xoom get ICS Update  (Read 3716 times)

Tablet PC Pro

• Administrator
    • Tablet PC Devices
ASUS Transformer and Motorola Xoom get ICS Update
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Android 4.0 begins to roll out
Update 1/24/2012:  ASUS has stated that the ICS upgrade for the original Transformer (TF101) will begin to roll out in mid-February.

The Android 4.0 upgrade, code named Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), has began to roll out to a few tablet PCs.  Owners of the ASUS Transformer Prime and a few select owners of the Motorola Xoom have already begun to receive the upgrade via over-the-air installations.

ASUS originally promised buyers of the Transformer Prime that they would receive the ICS upgrade before the end of 2011.  That was delayed a bit waiting for final approval from the Android Open Source Project team, and the upgrades began rolling out a couple of days ago.

Motorola, who has always been the first to provide Android OS upgrades, began to send out the upgrade to a select few Xoom owners in the USA, who are also members of their Motorola Owner's Forum.  I suspect that once this is completed, and any reported kinks are resolved, that the update will be sent to all Motorola Xoom owners.

Some have reported that Android 4.0 appears to be more stable than Android 3.2.1, however, I have not experienced any instability issues with Android 3.2.1 on my Xoom.

Samsung announced a couple of weeks ago that their Galaxy Tab tablet PC products will receive the ICS upgrade around the end of the first quarter, 2012, with the exception of the original 7" Galaxy Tab, which runs Android 2.2, all other Samsung tablets should receive the upgrade.

Android upgrades are manufacturer specific and must be released by the manufacturer of each tablet.  Most manufacturers apply their own tweaks and UI layer to the base Android OS.  It is possible to download the base Android OS and flash it to your tablet, however, you will see missing features and functions that may be specific to your tablet.  It is always the best method to wait and apply the upgrade as it becomes available from the manufacturer of your tablet device.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:20:45 PM by Tablet PC Pro »
Tablet PC Pro

James Mock

• Welcome, Please share your knowledge
Re: ASUS Transformer and Motorola Xoom get ICS Update
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:25:41 AM »
Android 4.0 begins to roll out
Update 1/24/2012:  ASUS has stated that the ICS upgrade for the original Transformer (TF101) will begin to roll out in mid-February.

The Android 4.0 upgrade, code named Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), has began to roll out to a few tablet PCs.  Owners of the ASUS Transformer Prime and a few select owners of the Motorola Xoom have already begun to receive the upgrade via over-the-air installations.

ASUS originally promised buyers of the Transformer Prime that they would receive the ICS upgrade before the end of 2011.  That was delayed a bit waiting for final approval from the Android Open Source Project team, and the upgrades began rolling out a couple of days ago.

Motorola, who has always been the first to provide Android OS upgrades, began to send out the upgrade to a select few Xoom owners in the USA, who are also members of their Motorola Owner's Forum.  I suspect that once this is completed, and any reported kinks are resolved, that the update will be sent to all Motorola Xoom owners.

Some have reported that Android 4.0 appears to be more stable than Android 3.2.1, however, I have not experienced any instability issues with Android 3.2.1 on my Xoom.

Samsung announced a couple of weeks ago that their Galaxy Tab tablet PC products will receive the ICS upgrade around the end of the first quarter, 2012, with the exception of the original 7" Galaxy Tab, which runs Android 2.2, all other Samsung tablets should receive the upgrade.

Android upgrades are manufacturer specific and must be released by the manufacturer of each tablet.  Most manufacturers apply their own tweaks and UI layer to the base Android OS.  It is possible to download the base Android OS and flash it to your tablet, however, you will see missing features and functions that may be specific to your tablet.  It is always the best method to wait and apply the upgrade as it becomes available from the manufacturer of your tablet device.
I cannot upgrade to ICS, so I need to change my tab and buy the new one ?

Google Ads

Top 10 Topics