collapse collapse

Ads

Tablet PC Store

Tablet PC Store

Google Ads

Most Recent Posts

Author Topic: How to use an Android Tablet PC as a Wi-Fi Hotspot?  (Read 15785 times)

Tablet PC Pro

• Administrator
    • Tablet PC Devices
How to use an Android Tablet PC as a Wi-Fi Hotspot?
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
Use your Android tablet PC as a Wi-Fi hotspot If your tablet PC has a Wi-Fi connection, which most do, and also is running Android 3.x or higher, then you can make your tablet function as a Wi-Fi hotspot so other computers or smart phones can connect to the internet.

This is another way of sharing your data connection with other devices, in addition to using USB and Bluetooth.

First you must be able to connect to an internet access point via your tablet's Wi-Fi connection.  Once connected, you can turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot function so other devices can also access the internet through your Android tablet PC.

Share your tabletís data connection as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot

• Open the Settings application on your tablet PC.
  • Touch Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot.
  • Check Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.
  • After a moment, the tablet starts broadcasting its Wi-Fi network name (SSID), so you can connect to it with up to 8 computers or other devices. An ongoing notification is added to the System bar, to the left of the time.
When Portable Wi-Fi hotspot is checked, you can change its network name or secure it. See Rename or secure your portable hotspot.

Uncheck Portable Wi-Fi hotspot to stop sharing your data connection via Wi-Fi.

Rename or secure your portable hotspot

You can change the name of your tabletís Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and secure its Wi-Fi network.

• Open the Settings application on your tablet PC.
  • Touch Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot.
  • Ensure Portable Wi-Fi hotspot is checked.
  • Touch Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings.
  • Touch Configure Wi-Fi hotspot.
  • The Configure Wi-Fi hotspot dialog opens.
You can change the network SSID (name) that other computers see when scanning for Wi-Fi networks.

You can also touch the Security menu to configure the network with Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) security, with a preshared key (PSK).

If you touch the WPA2 PSK security option, a password field is added to the Configure Wi-Fi hotspot dialog. If you enter a password, you will need to enter that password when you connect to the tabletís hotspot with a computer or other device. Or touch Open in the Security menu to remove security from your Wi-Fi network.

Touch Save.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:14:31 PM by Tablet PC Pro »
Tablet PC Pro

elijah80

• Welcome, Please share your knowledge
Re: How to use an Android Tablet PC as a Wi-Fi Hotspot?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
Hi,
I read your post and I think it solves my problem:

I'm about to buy an Asus Tranformer Prime Infinity T700 and I have the need to print in a place where there's no WiFi. Correct me if I wrong but you're saying that if I buy a WiFi printer and I download the right app from google play I can use my tablet as a hotspot and connect the printer to it?

Please HEEELP!!!  :)

elijah 

Tablet PC Pro

• Administrator
    • Tablet PC Devices
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
WiFi hotspots only work for sharing an internet connection. They do not allow devices to connect to each other.
A WiFi hotspot will not allow you to print to a WiFi printer.  Cloud printing requires the printer to be connected to a PC or router in order to access the printer.
Tablet PC Pro

elijah80

• Welcome, Please share your knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:35 PM »
Got it, thanks for your help!

elijah

Google Ads

Top 10 Topics