What supported formats for Video, Music, and Photo files on Android phones and tablets
What Media formats can be used on Android?
The video, music, and photo formats supported on Android phones and tables running the base Android 3.+ operating systems are documented here. Various tablet manufacturers may include other pre-installed apps which may support additional formats. There are also apps available on the Google Play Store and Amazon AppStore which also support more formats.
What supported formats can be used?
The following network protocols are supported for audio and video playback:
- RTSP (RTP, SDP)
- HTTP progressive streaming
- HTTP live streaming (Android 3.0 and above)
Audio and Music Formats
- 3GPP (.3gp)
- MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4a)
- ADTS raw AAC (.aac, decode only, ADIF not supported, Android 3.1+)
- FLAC (.flac) only
- MP3 (.mp3)
- MIDI Type 0 and 1 (.mid, .xmf, .mxmf). Also RTTTL/RTX (.rtttl, .rtx), OTA (.ota), and iMelody (.imy)
- Ogg (.ogg)
- WAVE (.wav)
Image and Photo Formats
- JPEG (.jpg)
- GIF (.gif)
- PNG (.png)
- BMP (.bmp)
- 3GPP (.3gp)
- MPEG-4 (.mp4)
- MPEG-TS (.ts, AAC audio only, not seekable, Android 3.0+)
- WebM (.webm)
For additional video formats, you can install a video app, such as MX Video Player, which includes support for .3gp .avi .divx .f4v .flv .mkv .mp4 .mpeg .mov .vob .wmv .webm .xvid and many more.