Control the sleeping apps on Android phones and tablets so an important message or event doesn’t get ignored or bypassed. Have you ever received a message several minutes after it was sent? The delay was probably caused by the messaging app being put to sleep by your Android device’s battery management system.
Some apps can sleep in order to save battery life. Those apps which don’t need to be running in background all the time can be set to sleep or deep sleep in order to save on battery life. Other apps you may want to set so they never sleep so they are always active looking for incoming messages, emails, or notifications.
Many apps will use background data while you are connected with your mobile data connection causing additional data charges or using up your plan’s mobile data allocation. To learn more about controlling apps that can run in the background while using mobile data “Control which apps use background mobile data“.
How to control sleeping apps on Android?
For most Android phones and tablets with a newer version of Android:
- Locate the app you want to set sleeping option for, Touch and hold (long press) on the icon, you’ll see a small menu open.
- Touch on the App Information icon in the top right corner of the menu .
- Touch on Battery.
- To make sure the app is always running and never sleeps, touch Unrestricted.
- Optimized – Battery usage will be optimized based on your usage – usually the best option for most apps.
- Restricted – Restrict battery usage while running in background. The app may not run as expected and messages or notifications may be delayed.
To control sleeping apps on Samsung Android phones:
These instructions may vary slightly based on the Android version you have. These functions give you complete control over how your various apps sleep, or not sleep.
- Open Settings and touch on Battery and device care
- Touch on Battery
- Touch on Background and usage limits
- On this screen, you can see which apps are are Sleeping apps, Deep sleeping apps, and Never sleeping apps. You can touch on each setting to see the sleeping status of various apps.
- To add apps to a sleeping status, for example if you want to add apps to the Never sleeping apps status, touch on Never sleeping apps to see the list, then touch on the + icon in the top right conner of the screen.